How to identify Fear vs. Intuition (& a BigMac)

Throughout my life, people said to me, "stop being so sensitive."

And it always made me think to myself...wait, my sensitivity should be stopped? 

Why?

Has someone ever told you this?

Did you start to believe, as I did, that your sensitivity was a bad thing?

It took me years to learn this, but...often what other people describe as your "weakness", is actually your greatest strength. 

As a kid, I was perceptive.

I would just know when someone was happy or angry -- even if they didn't say anything. 

I felt everyone else's pain like an earthquake, it would ripple through me and become my own pain. I'd be upset suddenly and I suddenly felt confused...wait, I was happy a moment before?

Plus, I basically thought that if other people were angry, it was somehow my fault -- or that I needed to FIX the situation and make them happy. 

I could always pick up on things I FELT, even if there were no words said. 

At work over the years, I had bosses tell me not to "take things so seriously, you have to let things go more, Kristina. That's just the way they are." 

Because I could pick up on hidden intentions of both coworkers and clients -- particularly if something nefarious was being hidden. 

And I would say something about it, sometimes pretty passionately, much to the chagrin of my bosses.

All my life, my sensitivity and empathy was reflected back to me as a weakness.

Figures of authority told me not to feel emotion, or display emotion, or succumb to emotions and feelings -- as our society tells us this isn't acceptable. 

And here's where I strongly, and passionately, disagree.

That sensitivity IS strength. 

Sensitivity IS intuition. 

Whenever you FEEL that something isn't right, that something is missing -- you have that internal nudge or knowing to do something -- that is your intuition stepping in! 

Spiritual traditions for thousands of years have all known and revered the powers of intuition.

Buddhist, Islamic, Hindu, and Western philosophy have all connected intuition with planes of higher consciousness (or, connecting to your soul). 

The Advaita Vedānta for example (a school of Hindu thought) values intuition as an experience through which a person can contact and experience Brahman (Spirit/God).

So...how can you start tapping into my intuition more?

First -- recognize your sensitivity as a superpower.

Look at some of the past situations in your life where you've just known things -- known the right thing to do, or say, known to take a different path home, known that someone was going to call you seconds before they did.

Honor that knowing!

Second -- you need to silence all the other voices around you. 

The TV voice, the news voice, the social media voice, the family voices, the work voices, all of them. 

Go somewhere quiet, sit somewhere comfortable and just close your eyes.

Take a few deep breaths, and LISTEN. 

When you are busy doing things, your intuition can't be heard.

It needs silence to speak. 

Then ask yourself -- what do I need to know right now? 

Listen for what comes back to you. 

It may be a feeling, a word, a place, even a song. 

A person's voice.

Whatever it is, let it come to you without judgement. 

And know, that you're not wrong. 

That's your inner guidance speaking directly to you!

Third -- start recognizing how your inner voice is felt in your body:

Fear:

  • Feels heavy
  • Dark 
  • Confused/conflicted
  • Overwhelmed
  • Anxious 
  • Your thoughts keep running in circles

Intuition: 
  • Feels light
  • Crystal clear
  • Makes you feel calm, inspired
  • You know the solution
  • Spontaneously arises without any real natural thought 

By paying attention to these signs, you'll begin to identify what you are feeling and how your intuitive knowing is showing up in your body. 

I had fascinating situation happen just last night where my intuition kicked in, and paid off!

I went to go pick up some Thai food for dinner -- perfect for a cold, snowy night. 

I parked in a no-parking zone as I'm just running into the building to grab my food. 

I get out of my car, pick up the the bag of Pad Thai and sushi inside, run back out, and as I'm stepping back into my car, an elderly man appears by my passenger side window.

"Hello! Hello, lady. Could I please have some food?" He smiled gently and waved at me. 

My heart froze in my chest. I glanced at my bag of Thai food. 

Fear said, "There's a man by your car, it's late. It's dark. This could be unsafe. Go home."

Intuition said, "He's just asking for some food on a cold night. You don't need to get out of your car, but you can help."

I waved back, and in my haste, pulled into the street without telling him I was coming back -- as I needed to get out of the way of a truck that was pulling in behind me. 

I quickly drove to the McDonald's around the corner and ordered a BigMac. 

As I sat, waiting for them to hand me the bag of food, Fear whispered to me,

"You didn't tell him you were coming back...he's probably gone. This is foolish."

Intuition calmly responded, "If it's meant to be, it will be. Have faith."

I thanked the McDonald's server as she handed me my bag and peeled out of the parking lot, on a mission to find the elderly man.

But as I drove down the street, I found that he had vanished. 

I looked around corners, slowly, peering out of my window, searching the street where I had just seen him.

He was nowhere to be found. 

Disappointed, I pulled up to a stop light, red light pouring through my windshield, wipers gently swishing away at the snow.

I decided to ask Intuition what I should do next. 

Where should I go with my BigMac?

I closed my eyes for a second. Listened. 

Intuition said softly, "Turn right here. You'll find him."

I turned right around the corner. Saw nothing. 

She nudged me again, "Turn right again, and look left. You'll see him, he will be there."

I did as She instructed.

And, lo and behold, there was the man. Standing in a corner just a few feet across the street from the Thai restaurant. 

I parked under a bright light, snow pouring down though the golden light.

I rolled down my window.

"Sir! Sir, I have some food for you," I called out to him, and waved him over.

The man ran across the street, smiling at me. 

I handed him the bag and a smile beamed across his face. 

He said happily, "Oh, lady. Thank you so much! Thank you! Merry Christmas to you."

He turned and walked away with his McDonald's bag, and I drove home. 

In those moments, I had a conversation with both Fear and Intuition. 

Fear...feels like anxiety. 

Intuition is the clear, calm, rational voice that will alert you when you need to pay attention, and help you make the right decision. 

So the next time you need to make a decision and you're feeling conflicted, here's something to try:
  • Clear your mind of thought. When you are calm and centered, you can access your intuitive power.
  • Ask yourself, how do I feel about this situation/person/decision -- and notice what feeling naturally arises in you. Your first impression is generally the right one!
  • Explore what's fueling you -- write down your fears, and name them. By making your fears visible, you'll know if its doubt that driving you, or clear, intuitive knowing. 

And don't be afraid to ask for guidance! 

A prayer to God/The Universe/your angels/ancestors or guides -- whatever higher power you connect with -- is always willing to help guide your choices, if you need assistance. 

Take a deep breath.

You got this!





Comments

  1. I I tend to make decisions too hastily because I don’t stop to intentionally hear Intuition. Will try to hear Her more clearly with your technique. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and this incredible self-acknowledgement...proud of you! xo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to: know your soul

New Year, New Intention

How to: navigate (big!) change